Today’s smithery uses a great variety of types of metals – from steel, brass, bronze and copper to others. Often, metal is not the main indicator of quality, usually the greatest influence is made by the craftsman’s skills. However, few people realize that metal articles need proper maintenance, repainting and corrosion-resistant coating. In this article we will tell about the maintenance of metal items.
Each metal article, whether it be a fence, a gate or an outdoor lighting fixture, must be properly maintained and prepared. The biggest threat for metal is corrosion. It can be avoided by a variety of ways and techniques… Before application of anticorrosive coating, it is very important to thoroughly clean the metal surface. At present, the most popular metal cleaning techniques are:
- Mechanically cleaning the metal surface using a variety of abrasive tools (sandpaper, scrubbing machines).
- Metal surface is cleaned by sandblasting, or using metal beads. By the way, sandblasting is one of the most effective surface cleaning methods. This applies not only to cleaning the surface, but also to making it rough or opaque. Sanding may be applied not only to metal surfaces, but also wood, concrete, plastic and other materials.
- The metal surface is cleaned using various acid solutions. Consultants in building material shops can offer a wide range of products.
It is important to understand that metal must be specifically protected from corrosion when it is mounted in open-air spaces where the product surface is constantly exposed to sunlight, rain and other natural conditions, measures accelerating the corrosion.
Recently, most popular metal protection methods are:
- Hot zinc surface coating, followed by painting according to the needs, leaving the galvanized surface of the product.
- The next, and perhaps the most popular way is to cover the metal surface with primer and then paint it.
- The third way is powder painting. This method has its positive and negative sides. The product covered in this way is covered highly resistant to corrosion, but this procedure may leave uncoated hardly accessible parts and connector areas, which subsequently become the spots of corrosion.
- The last and the most recent solution in the architectural building facade decoration is allowing the metal to be covered with a layer of corrosion, leaving it entirely unpainted. Natural corrosion becomes the protection of metal, preserving it from further degradation.
Once the product surface is covered with corrosion, it is recommended to rub the surface with wax, which prevents further erosion of the metal. Each metal workpiece, no matter whether it be a fence, a gate or an outdoor lighting, requires constant maintenance. Only when properly maintained, the blacksmit’s work will retain its appearance for a long time. Therefore, every time you order a metal article, check out what kind of maintenance it may require.